Eyad H. Abed is a Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park,
where he is also affiliated with the Institute for Systems Research. His research interests include system and control
theory with an emphasis on nonlinear systems, and applications in electric power systems, communication networks,
aerospace systems, and social networks. Since 2014, he has been on an intergovernmental appointment as a Program Director in the Energy, Power, Control and Networks (EPCN) Program within the
Division of Electrical, Communications and Cyber Systems (ECCS) of the U.S. National Science Foundation.
During 2002-2008, he served as Director of the Institute for Systems Research
at the University of Maryland. During 2009-2012, he served as Dean of the College of Information Technology at the
United Arab Emirates University.
Dr. Abed received the S.B. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1979, and the M.S.
and Ph.D. degrees in 1981 and 1982, respectively, from the University of California at Berkeley, all in Electrical Engineering.
He is a Fellow of the IEEE, and a recipient of several awards, including the Presidential Young Investigator Award
the National Science Foundation, the O. Hugo Schuck Best Paper award
the American Automatic Control Council, a Senior Fulbright Scholar
from the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars, the
Systems Engineering Faculty Award of the Institute for Systems
the Alan Berman Research Publication Award from the Naval Research
and two teaching awards from the University of Maryland. He has been on the editorial boards of the
IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control and the journal Nonlinear
Dynamics. He was also a member of the
Executive Committee of the IEEE Control Systems Society, and served as its Vice President for Financial Activities during 2007-2009.
He has consulted for several corporations and government agencies in the application of control and dynamic modeling to problems in energy, radar and aircraft engine dynamics.
Dr. Abed's research interests include system and control theory; electric power system dynamics and control; systems engineering; the analysis and design of
complex networks, including communication networks and social networks; and aerospace control systems.
Among his research contributions (with his students and colleagues) in system and control theory are the development of the bifurcation control approach to control
of nonlinear systems bordering on their stability limits; introduction of strong D-stability and its implications for stability analysis of multi-time-scale systems; introduction of the guardian
map approach to stability analysis of uncertain systems; contributions to the study of border collision bifurcations; and development of a new approach to the analysis of modal
participation in linear dynamic systems.
In applications, he and his co-workers have contributed to the study of oscillations and nonlinear dynamics of electric power systems;
oscillations in internet traffic under congestion control protocols such as TCP-RED; redesign of computer network congestion control protocols to extend the regime of acceptable behavior;
analysis and design of artificial swarms; nonlinear dynamics and active stall control of gas turbine jet engines; control of tethered
satellites in station-keeping and in deployment and retrieval; modeling and control of power electronic circuits using sampled-data methods; nonlinear modeling and control of supercavitating bodies;
control of particle accelerators; aircraft stall control; analysis and control design for cardiac arrhythmia; and gated radar tracking system nonlinear modeling and dynamics.
- E.H. Abed, Editor, Advances in Control, Communication Networks, and Transportation Systems:
In Honor of Pravin Varaiya, Systems and Control: Foundations and Applications Series, Birkhauser, Boston, 2005.
- W.A. Hashlamoun, M.A. Hassouneh and E.H. Abed, "New results on modal participation factors:
Revealing a previously unknown dichotomy," IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, Volume 54, Issue 7, July 2009, pp. 1439-1449.
- P. Ranjan, E.H. Abed and R.J. La, "Nonlinear instabilities in TCP-RED," pp. 279-308 in
Complex Dynamics in Communication Networks, Ljupco Kocarev and Gabor Vattay, Eds., Springer
Complexity Program Series: Understanding Complex Systems, 2005.
- P. Ranjan, E.H. Abed and R.J. La, "Nonlinear instabilities in
TCP-RED," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 12, No. 6, Dec.
2004, pp. 1079-1092.
- P. Ranjan, R.J. La and E.H. Abed, "Global stability conditions for rate control
with arbitrary communication delays," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 14, No. 1, Feb. 2006, pp. 94-107.
- P. Ranjan, E.H. Abed and R.J. La, "Global stability with averaged feedback and communication delay,"
Proc. National Conference on Nonlinear Systems and Dynamics, Aligarh Muslim Univ., India,
Feb. 24-26, 2005, paper number 156.
- P. Ranjan, E.H. Abed and R.J. La, "Nonlinear instabilities in TCP-RED," IEEE
Infocom 2002, June 23-27, 2002, New York, pp. 249-258.
- P. Ranjan and E.H. Abed, "Nonlinear dynamics of TCP with RED control," Workshop on
Large-Scale Communication Networks: Topology, Routing, Traffic, and Control (Workshop I in the
Series "Large Scale Communication Networks"), Miniworkshop on Internet Congestion Control,
Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM), UCLA, Los Angeles, March 18-19, 2002.
- P. Ranjan, R. La and E. H. Abed, "Bifurcations of TCP and UDP traffic under RED,"
Proc. Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, Lisbon, Portugal,
July 9-12, 2002.
- R.J. La, P. Ranjan and E.H. Abed, "Global stability conditions for rate control of a discretized
model with communication delays,"
Proc. Globecom: IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Dallas, Nov. 29 - Dec. 3, 2004, Paper GI05-1, pp. 1396-1400.
- A. Sharifi and E.H. Abed, "Bifurcation control
in PRMA joint voice-data system using multiple transmission power levels," 2007 Military Communications Conference (MILCOM),
Orlando, FL, Oct. 29-31, 2007.
- A. Sharifi and E.H. Abed, "Stability analysis for communication of voice
terminals with packet reservation multiple access protocol with high propagation delays," Proceedings of the
Third International Conference on COMmunication Systems softWAre and middlewaRE
(COMSWARE 2008}, Bangalore, India, January 5-10, 2008.
- C. Wu, E.H. Abed, B. Beaudoin, R.A. Kishek, M. Reiser, J.C.T.
Thangaraj, P.G. O’Shea, and S. Bernal, M. Cornacchia, I. Haber, C.
Papadopoulos and D. Sutter, "Error and resonance analysis of beams with intense space
charge in the University of Maryland Electron Ring (UMER)," Proceedings of the 13th Advanced
Accelerator Concepts (AAC) Workshop, Santa Cruz, CA, July 27-Aug. 2, 2008.
- M.A. Hassouneh, E.H. Abed and H.E. Nusse, "Robust dangerous
border-collision bifurcations in piecewise smooth systems," Physical
Review Letters, Vol. 92, No. 7, 20 Feb. 2004, paper 070201.
- X. Xi and E.H. Abed, "New formation control designs with virtual leaders,"
Proc. Sixteenth IFAC World Congress, Prague, July 3-8, 2005, Paper We-M03-TO/3.
- E.H. Abed, "Bifurcation control: New directions motivated by biology and complex engineered systems," Keynote Lecture,
Preprints of the 7th IFAC Symposium on Nonlinear Control Systems (NOLCOS), 21-24 August, 2007, Pretoria, South Africa, pp. 103-109.
- E. H. Abed, M.A. Hassouneh and M.S. Saad, "Instability monitoring and control of power systems,"
pp. 159-178 in Applied Mathematics for Restructured Electric Power Systems: Optimization, Control,
and Computational Intelligence, J.H. Chow, F.F. Wu and J.A. Momoh, Eds.,
Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2005.
- M.A. Hassouneh and E.H. Abed, "Border collision bifurcation
control of cardiac alternans," International Journal of Bifurcation
and Chaos, Vol. 14, No. 9, Sept. 2004, pp. 3303-3315.
- H. Yaghoobi, M.A. Hassouneh and E.H. Abed, "Detection of
impending bifurcation using a near-resonant probe signal," Proc. American Control Conference,
June 2001, Arlington, VA, pp. 2285-2291.
- C.-C. Fang and E.H. Abed, "Saddle-node and Neimark
bifurcations in PWM DC-DC converters," in
Nonlinear Phenomena in Power Electronics: Attractors, Bifurcations,
Chaos and Nonlinear Control, S. Banerjee and G.C. Verghese,
Editors, pp. 229-240, New York: IEEE Press, 2001.
- C.-C. Fang and E.H. Abed, "Harmonic balance analysis and control
of period doubling bifurcation in buck converters," Proc. Internat. Symp.
and Systems, Sydney, May 2001, Vol. 3, pp. 209-212 (invited).
- P. Ranjan and E.H. Abed, "Enhancing detectability of
converters by stochastic resonance," Proc. 39th IEEE Conference on
and Control, Sydney, Australia, Dec. 12-15, 2000, pp. 1608-1612.
- E.H. Abed, D. Lindsay and W.A. Hashlamoun, "On participation
linear systems," Automatica, Vol. 36, No. 10, pp. 1489-1496,
- T. Kim and E.H. Abed, "Closed-loop monitoring systems for
instability," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems, -- I: Fundamental
and Applications, Vol. 47, No. 10, pp. 1479-1493, October 2000.
- M.A. Nayfeh and E.H. Abed, "High-gain feedback control of
in axial flow compressors," Automatica, Vol. 38, No. 6, June 2002, pp.
- T. Kim and E.H. Abed, "Stationary bifurcation control of systems
uncontrollable linearization," International Journal of Control, Vol.
74, No. 5, pp. 445-452, 2001.
- C.-C. Fang and E.H. Abed, "Analysis and control of period
in buck converters using harmonic balance," Latin American Applied
An International Journal,
Special theme issue: Bifurcation Control: Methodologies and
In honor of the 65th Birthday of Professor Leon O. Chua,
Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 149-156, 2001.
- C.-C. Fang and E.H. Abed, "Robust feedback stabilization of
in PWM DC-DC converters," Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp.
295-309, Feb. 2002.
- D.-C. Liaw and E.H. Abed, "Active control of compressor stall
A bifurcation-theoretic approach," Automatica, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp.
- R.A. Adomaitis and E.H. Abed, "Local nonlinear control of stall
in axial flow compressors," Proceedings of the 29th
Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, Monterey, CA, June 28-30,
1993 (AIAA Paper 93-2230).
- E.H. Abed, P.K. Houpt and W.M. Hosny, "Bifurcation analysis of
rotating stall in axial flow compressors," ASME Journal of
vol. 115, pp. 817-824, 1993.
- E.H. Abed, H.O. Wang, and R.C. Chen, "Stabilization of period
bifurcations and implications for control of chaos," Physica D,
vol. 70, pp. 154-164, 1994.
- J.-H. Fu and E.H. Abed, "Families of Lyapunov functions for
in critical cases," IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, 38,
Jan. 1993, pp. 3-16.
- H. Wang and E.H. Abed, "Bifurcation control of chaotic dynamical
of NOLCOS'92: Nonlinear Control System Design Symposium, M.
Ed., June 1992.
- H.O. Wang, E.H. Abed and A.M.A. Hamdan, "Bifurcations, chaos and
in voltage collapse of a model power system," IEEE Transactions on
and Systems---I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, vol. 41, pp.
- H.O. Wang and E.H. Abed, "Control of nonlinear phenomena at the
of voltage collapse," Proceedings of the 1993 American
Control Conference, pp. 2071-2075, San Francisco, CA, June 2-4,
- A. Tesi, E.H. Abed, R. Genesio and H.O. Wang, "Harmonic balance
of period doubling bifurcations with implications for control of
dynamics," Automatica, Vol. 32, No. 9, pp. 1255-1271, September 1996.
- E.H. Abed and J.-H. Fu, "Local feedback stabilization and bifurcation control, II. Stationary bifurcation,"
Systems and Control Letters, Volume 8, Issue 5, pp. 467–473, May 1987.
- E.H. Abed and J.-H. Fu, "Local feedback stabilization and bifurcation control, I. Hopf bifurcation,"
Systems and Control Letters, Volume 7, Issue 1, pp. 11–17, February 1986.
- E.H. Abed and P.P. Varaiya, "Nonlinear oscillations in power systems,"
Internat. J. Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 6, No. 1,
pp. 37-43, January 1984.
- R.E. Gover, E.H. Abed and A.J. Goldberg, "Stochastic stability
of nonlinear gated radar range trackers," in Stochastic Theory and
Control, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences Series, 184,
T.E. Duncan and B. Pasik-Duncan, Eds., pp. 225-239, Berlin:
Abstracts of some of his/her publications can be accessed
here from the ISR Technical