Microrobotics, micro-electro-mechanical systems, microactuators, soft robotics, robot locomotion, networked centimeter-scale robots, millimeter-scale power systems
Sarah Bergbreiter joined the University of Maryland, College Park in 2008 as an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, with a joint appointment in the Institute for Systems Research. Sarah brings new skills and interests to our programs, and can help to bridge research in systems and control with research in microsystems and fabrication.
She received her B.S.E. degree in electrical engineering from Princeton University in 1999. After a short introduction to the challenges of sensor networks at a small startup company, she received the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of California, Berkeley in 2004 and 2007 with a focus on microrobotics. She received the DARPA Young Faculty Award in 2008, the NSF CAREER Award in 2011, and the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) Award in 2013 for her research on engineering robotic systems down to sub-millimeter size scales. She also received the Best Conference Paper Award at IEEE ICRA 2010 for her work incorporating new materials into microrobotics.
Honors and Awards
Young faculty awards
PECASE (Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers), 2013
NSF CAREER for "Microrobot Legs for Fast Locomotion over Rough Terrain, 2011
DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2008
Best Conference Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation
- Active Skins for Simplified Tactile Feedback in Robotics
- Insect and Robot Locomotion with Heavy Loads
- Microrobot Legs for Fast Locomotion over Rough Terrain
- NSF CPS: Ant-Like Microrobots—Fast, Small, and Under Control
- Presidential Early Career Award for Science and Engineering (PECASE)
- NSF CPS Collaborative Research: Designing semi-autonomous networks of miniature robots for inspection of bridges and other large infrastructures
- AFOSR: Air Force Center of Excellence on Nature-Inspired Flight Technologies and Ideas (NIFTI)